Sunday, April 11, 2010

Way too much ham for 3 people



After my frustrating filet of beef experiment last Christmas, I decided to go traditional, tried, and true for Easter this year: ham. Last Saturday, my mom and I took a trip to Costco and I picked out an 8lb spiral cut ham from their enormous case of hams. That was actually the smallest one I could find!


Ham is so easy to cook because you don't have to do anything but stick it in the oven. Just to make it a little more special, I made an orangey-dijon glaze from one of the Barefoot Contessa cookbooks which I poured over the ham before baking it. I also made a very rich potato gratin, creamed spinach, and steamed asparagus with hollandaise sauce. And picked up a jar of Stonewall Kitchen horseradish mustard.

We had SO MUCH leftover ham! I made my mom take half of it home and still had enough for a huge pot of white bean, barley, ham, and vegetable soup and also many servings of my healthier version of fried rice: brown rice with scrambled eggs, ham, edamame, leftover asparagus, and soy sauce.

1 comment: