Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Ben & Jerry & Kristy


Cuisinart ICE-30BC Frozen Yogurt-Ice Cream & Sorbet Maker

As I mentioned, I recently bought an ice cream maker (just like this one) and decided to bring it up to the Cape so I could make my own dessert during our two week trip. I also brought my copy of the Ben & Jerry's Homemade Ice Cream and Dessert Book which I've had since I first took an interest in ice cream making in 1996.


I have been cooking a lot these last two weeks (more to come) and the task of making ice cream has fallen to my sister, who has turned into a frozen dessert virtuoso. She started with coconut ice cream, pictured above with a scoop of blueberry ice cream, which she made two days later. She has also made french vanilla ice cream speckled with bourbon vanilla beans and coffee-oreo ice cream. Tonight, she'll try her hand at peach ice cream.


All of these ice cream recipes start with a sweet cream base -- a combination of eggs, sugar, milk, and heavy cream -- to which the flavoring ingredients are added. In the case of the coconut ice cream, that meant pouring in an entire 15 oz can of Coco Lopez to the sweet cream base before pouring the mixture into the ice cream maker. The resulting ice cream was insanely delicious if also insanely bad for you (do not read the nutritional information on the back of a Coco Lopez can if you want to enjoy anything you make with coconut cream). The coffee flavor in the coffee oreo ice cream came from several tablespoons of instant coffee.

Kristy has been jogging every day to counteract the caloric surplus spurred by her new hobby. I have not. As a result, I am not looking forward to putting my any of my work clothes back on come Monday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment