Monday, December 27, 2010

Missing in action no more

Apologies for the drought of new content, readers. I have had an incredibly busy December so far.


Between Judd's 36th birthday dinner at Uncle Vanya's in Hell's Kitchen,


my incredible spa weekend at Cal-A-Vie outside San Diego (full of healthy AND delicious spa cuisine - more to come on that later),


trimming our tree,


my, Judd's, and my sister's second annual holiday party,


Christmas dinner at my sister's house,


and most recently, a very distracting blizzard -- it's been hard to find a free moment to post -- phew!

But I am ready to get back into blogging business and have lots of restaurants and recipes to tell you about, along with a list of the best and worst places I tried in 2010. And, Judd got me a new camera to document all of my culinary adventures! So stay tuned.


In the meantime, here's the recipe for boeuf a la mode, the simple but satisfying French pot roast that we had for Christmas this year, served on top of creamy polenta with sheep's milk cheese. I have made it many times myself, and it always turns out delicious. (The leftovers are even better.)

BOEUF A LA MODE

serves 8

2 2-lb well-marbled boneless beef chuck pot roasts
2 teaspoons ground allspice
1.5 lb onions, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
6 large garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
salt and pepper

1. Put oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 400 degrees.

2. Pat meat dry. Stir together allspice, 2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon pepper in a small bowl. Rub all over meat.

3. Spread half of onions and half of garlic in a large dutch oven and arrange meat on top. Spread remaining onions and garlic over meat. Cover pot and bake in oven.

4. Turn meat over after one hour. Then return pot to oven for an additional 90 minutes until meat is very tender.

5. Skim fat from pan juices. Sprinkle meat and onions with parsley and serve.

1 comment: