Saturday, January 1, 2011

A healthy start to 2011


As I mentioned the other day, the food at Cal-A-Vie, the spa where I recently spent a long weekend, was exceptional. Jason Graham, Cal-a-Vie's chef, is a healthy food wizard and works his magic on local produce, whole grains, and lean protein without any butter, cream, or sugar. Even on only 1500 calories per day, I felt completely satisfied and also energized enough for all of the walking, hiking, weight-lifting, and exercise classes they scheduled

One of the more popular items on Cal-A-Vie's breakfast menu was steel-cut oatmeal with baked apple and toasted maple pecans, which was served with a side dish of scrambled egg whites and steamed spinach.


I wanted to start off the new year with a healthy breakfast and decided to take a stab at recreating Cal-A-Vie's oatmeal. Since my in-laws very nicely sent me and Judd a box of Harry and David's famous Royal Riviera pears, I used pears instead of apples, which I caramelized with a little Smart Balance in a non-stick pan instead of baking. Also, I just used regular pecans which I toasted in the same pan as the pear chunks, and drizzled maple syrup on top. Not quite spa cuisine quality, but I was pleased.

No comments:

Post a Comment