Monday, September 28, 2009

Applesauce in the Big Apple

I was inspired by the apples I saw at the farmer's market last week and decided to try my hand at making applesauce. And it was so easy!


I started with ~4lbs of assorted apples (macintosh, granny smith, empire, gala, etc.). I peeled them and cut them into pieces and added them to my favorite large red pot with about 1 cup of apple cider. I simmered the apples and cider over low heat for about 1/2 an hour. The result: a big mushy pile of apples! To be clear: I did not have to mash/puree/blend/process anything -- the apples just fell apart while cooking.



A few dashes of cinnamon later, I had apple sauce! 2 quarts of it! And it is delicious.



I am hoping that all of the vitamins in those apples and the homemade soup I ate for lunch again today will send my sniffles packing! I don't want the last few days of my twenties to be this crummy and tissue-filled.

No comments:

Post a Comment