Thursday, December 10, 2009

No more leftovers

I ate the very last of our Thanksgiving leftovers tonight. I am not sure if I should be proud of my resolve not to waste food, or disgusted that I just ate a rich and utterly nutritionless plate of two-week old side dishes for dinner. All that was left, you see, were mashed potatoes (those don't go bad, right?), stuffing, and my favorite orangey sweet potatoes with a very buttery oatmeal crumble topping.

Actually, I just realized that I still have some gravy left and about 2 cups of cranberry sauce. Does anyone have ideas for gravy that DO NOT involved mashed tubers? I guess egg noodles go well with gravy. Or maybe even rice? I could toss in some sauteed mushrooms . . . all ideas are welcome.

The good news is that the fridge has a lot more free space than it used to. Which leaves lots of room for the healthier things I plan to make between now and the Christmas calorie bonanza a few weeks from now. Last week, I sat down with my copy of Moosewood Restaurant Low-Fat Favorites and scoped out some hopefully tasty and lighter dishes than I've been cooking lately (i.e., no stuffing). I've already made a curried carrot and parsnip soup (pg. 100) and sweet potato and black bean burritos (pg. 172).

Ooh - Judd just got home. That's all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment