Saturday, October 20, 2012

a bun in the oven


I have some very exciting news to share (for anyone who reads SSH whom I haven't talked to lately): Judd and I are expecting a baby girl on or around December 30th! I am quite certain she is going to turn our lives upside down, but we can't wait to meet her and bring her home in about ten more weeks.

I've had a pretty easy time so far - no morning sickness or any major complaints - but I do miss eating some of the foods that I've been advised not to eat, including Boar's Head deli turkey (why!!??? it's so innocent!) and raw tuna. It also took a while to adjust to the severe reduction in my caffeine and splenda intake, and don't even get me started on how much I miss wine. (I haven't gone this long without alcohol since I was a teenager.)


I haven't really had any strange food cravings, either, though I've gone to the Palm often enough that I joined their frequent diner club and will order macaroni and cheese, or anything covered in cheese for that matter, anytime I see it on a menu. So you can guess how plump and round I look by now, notwithstanding the 3-pound baby in my abdomen.  Last week, I decided to connect with my inner tourist and stopped by the famed Carnegie Deli (it's only a few blocks from my office) for a corned beef sandwich on rye. And I ate the ENTIRE thing.

Anyway, I intend to keep food the focus of SSH, but it may sometimes be of the pureed fruit and vegetable variety.

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful news, Loren! I'm sure you'll read her cookbooks as she swings away, just as you did with Peter. All best from us Laskins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lisa! If we end up with a baby half as cute and loveable as Peter, we'll consider ourselves very lucky parents :)

    ReplyDelete