Tuesday, October 16, 2012

my favorite vinaigrette


Several months ago, my friend Steph suggested I do a blog post about salad dressing.  Excellent idea! I made a mental note to take photos and notes the next few times I made salad.  And somehow, nearly three months went by before I got my act together to share a very simple recipe for my favorite go-to salad dressing, which I particularly like with bibb lettuce. It tastes very French to me, and the shallots are mild enough that they don't overpower the delicate mustard-lemon balance (I generally don't like raw onions or even scallions, so if you can't find shallots, look for a sweet onion, like a vidalia).



Here's what you'll need:

1/2 large shallot, finely minced
1 heaping tablespoon dijon mustard
juice of 1 lemon
1/4 cup + one tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
salt and pepper

Mix all ingredients together, season with salt and pepper, and toss with lettuce.

2 comments:

  1. What are you thoughts about red wine vinegar vs. cider vinegar vs. sherry vinegar?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tend to stick with red wine vinegar because it's the most mild to me. There is a salad dressing I love that includes sherry vinegar *and* balsamic vinegar -- I think I shared that in a prior post (it's a brown butter and truffle oil vinaigrette from Spiaggia in Chicago). I don't love apple cider vinegar, but it could be nice in a salad that would benefit from some apple notes, like a salad with roasted butternut squash, or maybe sliced pear.

    ReplyDelete