Sunday, October 4, 2009

Birthday weekend in Boston

Ack! I'm 30. How did that happen? My sister, who turned 30 two minutes after I turned 30, also says "Ack!" And our mother, who still claims to be thirty-nine, is in deep shock. But as tough as this birthday blow was to swallow, I had a wonderful first few days as a thirty-something.

On Friday afternoon, my sister and I boarded the Acela to Boston. Since it was my birthday, after all, I splurged on my favorite lunch of all time: a smoked turkey sandwich with honey mustard, tomatoes, and brie (if you are ever ordering this from Stash, just ask for "the Loren"). Once in Boston, we had some fantastic massages at Bella Sante, and headed over to Ciara and Ryan's new apartment in Beacon Hill for wine and cheese - thanks again to our lovely hosts!



At 9:00pm we arrived at Hamersley's Bistro in Boston's South End for a late dinner where Judd, John, and Shannon met us. I started with a puree of celery root soup with truffle oil and creme fraiche, followed by a spicy halibut with white beans, braised greens, trumpet mushrooms, and roasted clams. We shared a blueberry and nectarine pie AND a peach turnover with ginger ice cream for dessert. It was a wonderful birthday dinner.

On Saturday, we celebrated Kate and Eoghan's wedding at the Fairmont Copley Plaza Hotel. It was a fantastic night full of champagne, dancing, and more champagne and dancing. And it was the first wedding we'd attending since getting married in March, which brought back many happy wedding memories for me and Judd.



And today, we drove home, stopping for excellent brick oven pizza at Covo, a casual restaurant near the uptown Fairway, before my sister headed off to the airport to return to London.

Despite this very memorable celebration, I still will probably forget how old I am the next ten times anyone asks. Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment