Thursday, October 29, 2009

Recipe: sauteed brussels sprouts


Oh the humble brussels sprout. I know they are an acquired taste for some, but I've loved them since I was little. They are slightly tangy - almost mustardy - and, if not over or under cooked, they make a delicious fall treat.

Steph asked me for my recipe for sauteed brussels sprouts, which I am very happy to share.

There's no need to list ingredients: all you need are brussels sprouts, salted boiling water, and unsalted butter.

Step 1: bring a pot of salted boiling water to a boil. Thomas Keller, the celebrated chef behind the French Laundry and Per Se, believes that vegetables should be blanched in water with the same saltiness as the ocean. I think about him and his advice every time I salt water with a heavy hand.

Step 2: while the salty water is heating up, trim the brussels sprouts. I usually cut off any excess remaining stem and the top two outer leaves if they look sad.

Step 3: drop trimmed sprouts into boiling water. When water returns to a boil, drain sprouts and either drop into a bowl of ice water, or put under the faucet and turn on the cold water. Basically, you just want them to stop cooking and to stay bright green.

Step 4: when sprouts are cool enough to touch, slice them in half lengthwise.

Step 5: melt unsalted butter in a sautee pan (probably about 1 tablespoon per 2 pints of sprouts). Add halved sprouts and cook over medium-high heat for about 10 minutes, or until the sprouts are starting to brown, jiggling the sprouts in the pan every few minutes.

Step 6: add salt and pepper at your discretion. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Cooking these tonight! Thank you for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please disregard my last comment. Thanks for posting the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete