Monday, November 9, 2009

Aunt Loren and Uncle Judd visit Milwaukee

Judd and I took a painfully early morning flight out to Milwaukee on Saturday morning to meet our new nephew, August Judd Newton, who arrived on Thursday morning. For anyone keeping track, this is now my tenth niece/nephew - Judd has a big family - who range in age from 25 years to 4 days old.


I managed to sample some local Wisconsin cuisine in between visiting our in-laws, holding the new little peanut, and playing with our two year old nephew, Jonas. On Saturday, we had dinner with Judd's parents, who drove down from Michigan, at Louise's. The warm homemade focaccia made up for the ho-hum cheese, mushroom, and asparagus stuffed chicken breast I ordered. On Sunday morning, I had a fantastic sweet potato and black bean burrito for brunch at Beans and Barley, a mostly vegetarian restaurant and market that I'd remembered from our last visit to Milwaukee. Later, we took Judd's mom, visiting from Arizona, to theMilwaukee Public Market for a late lunch. Judd had a vegetarian sandwich at Good Harvest, and I had grilled chicken and egyptian rice with crispy fried onions, lentils, elbow macaroni, and chickpeas at Aladdin.

Today, we took Jonas to the Milwaukee Zoo.


And then stopped at the Dogg Haus for Chicago-style hot dogs, which I think just means hot dogs with a lot of strange toppings. I ordered "the Atlanta" which was topped with chili and coleslaw. Pretty good, but not too filling.



The brewery tours and cheese tastings are going to have to wait for another visit. In the meantime, here are some more pictures of the little guy, with his doting family.




1 comment:

  1. The NEXT time you go to Milwaukee, let me know ahead of time! We are there regularly, since that is where Bill is from, and have a few key foodie reccos for you.

    ReplyDelete